Wordpress 5.5 upgrade issue

Updating to 5.5 has worked fine on all sites but one.

First off, this doesn’t look right “The authenticity of wordpress-5.5.zip could not be verified as no signature was found.” Anyhow…

When running the upgrade, class-wp-filesystem-direct.php chgrp() results in “Operation not permitted”.

After a page refresh I get Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function wp_unregister_GLOBALS() in /home/85797-66975.cloudwaysapps.com/ynfpwfgeny/public_html/wp-settings.php:70, which of course might be caused by a partial upgrade.

I reverted to a backup and performed Reset File / Folders permissions from the console for the server user.

Same chmod error.

I reverted to a backup again and changed permissions to 777 for files and folders via SSH.

Same problem again.

ls -l gives group = www-data and owner = [server user]

Anyone that knows of a workaround?

Thanks in advance.

Hi there - did you try to reset owner and permission through Cloudways platform after reverting to backup please? Also I wouldn’t set folder and file permissions to 777 as that’s a bit dangerous in terms of security.

1 Like

As a workaround, try installing the update manually by downloading WordPress 5.5, unzipping it, and then uploading all of the files over SFTP. After doing that your WordPress site should be in a good state again.

I reset after restoring. 777 was a last resort kind of thing.

I’ll try that, but won’t wp-settings and possible other critical files be overwritten?

The only critical file you don’t want overwritten is wp-config.php. however, that file doesn’t exist in the WordPress download, you have to create it yourself based on wp-config-sample.php (CloudWays normally does this for you), so there isn’t anything you have to worry about. Also, you don’t need anything in wp-content. That just contains the default theme and plugins, so if you skip uploading that folder, it’ll make the entire process a little bit faster.

That worked fine, and yes, those critical files weren’t there.

Thanks.