Slowing down server with unused WP site

Hi, I’ve just started using Cloudways and have migrated an old Wordpress site to my server. It’s just there for reference as I re-build a replacement version.

Will unused Wordpress installations slow down the server. I’m assuming not but would be interested to hear from more experienced users.

It depends. If there are cron jobs that need some CPU and RAM usage, then during those tasks, the whole server will be affected. I would say, if you want to be 100% safe, create a small server of 1GB with 5$ and put the reference site there. Then have your regular site in another production server.

Thanks for your help. I had not considered cron jobs. I’ll just delete the old site and keep a local copy once I’m done with the new design.

1 Like

By default cron jobs in WP only run when there is traffic to the site, so that wouldn’t likely be a big issue.

There is an option to “turn off” a site completely while still leaving it on the server if having it available there occasionally would still be useful. When in the Application you want to turn off > Application Settings > Application Access and slide the silder to Disable.

Though using a local version sounds like a good idea too, depending on your purposes.