Should I disable Wordfence now Cloudways have added Bot Protection?

I have previously used the Wordfence (free version) on my WordPress website to protect it. Now that Cloudways have added Bot Protection, should I disable Wordfence? Is there any benefit to running both - I would rather not slow my website with unnecessary plugins. Thanks for your response.

2 Likes

Hi James, I am wondering the same. However, bot protection does not have the option to block Ip addresses (I just asked). When I scan my wordfence logs, there is a lot of suspicious traffic f.e. check this fake Bing crawler which is 100% suspicious 23.100.232.233. They hit my site 24/7 and I have them block via wordfence. Personally, I am keeping wordfence.
Also check your traffic logs bot traffic and run ip’s here > https://scamalytics.com/ip/74.114.154.11. Scary what comes through to your site.
At best these spam bots leave fake comments, but worse, some scrape your content, duplicate it on spam sites and give you these great toxic backlinks! :angry:

2 Likes

Wordfence does a lot more than what you get from Bot Protection. I use the free version, but I am contemplating an upgrade to the paid version. I have also used JetPack protection, but it locked me out on multiple occasions, so I cannot recommend it.

I am using the premium version. It is worth keeping. Does significantly more than just bot protection.

I’ve never liked the bot protection feature. Sometimes it blocks a person when it shouldn’t and it just seems inferior to other plugins out there.

Recently I started working at Wordfence, and they do do a lot more than bot protection. I’ve learned that their firewall isn’t just something that was thrown together years ago. They do their own research and they have many people who every day are finding and adding rules to the firewall and signatures to the malware scanner. If you have the premium version than you also get to participate in their network wide brute force login protection program.

And yes, you shouldn’t have them both running on the site at the same time since it’ll slow thing down. Given a choice between the bot protection and the free version of Wordfence, I would take the free version of Wordfence. And that was true before I started working at Wordfence as well.