Recommended Wordpress File Permissions

I notice that the default Wordpress File Permissions for Cloudways is 775 for folders and 664 for files.

Doing research online I have notice that the recommendations are usually 755 or 750 for folders and 644 or 640 for files.

I have also noticed that for wp-config recommendations of 444, 440 or 400.

I am wondering which recommendations I should follow and why.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Moshe

Hey moshe,

Since Cloudways is a managed applications platform, you don’t need to worry about permissions. Also, there is an option in an app’s configuration panel that will reset permissions to the default ones, in case you encounter some weird behavior such as being unable to upload files.

These recommendations would apply if you were running your own VPS or dedicated server, with or without a control panel such as Cpanel, Plesk, Serverpilot, etc, because in this case you’d be responsible for your own server’s security.

In any case, you still have to do some other maintenance stuff to keep everything safe, such as:

• Keeping Wordpress updated
  • Keeping plugins and themes updated
  • Never using pirate/nulled/cracked plugins and themes

Thanks for your reply.

I am thinking of changing my permissions from the default permissions that Cloudways comes with. My question is should I do so and, of so - which recommendations are the best to use.

Be well,

Moshe