About three months ago Cloudways introduced account verification for safety reasons. Updates to improve safety are always a big plus, but this one has a down side.
Affiliate marketers are most likely signing up less people per month now and the number will continue to drop. The reason is the account verification process, which Cloudways has stated that they are not sure how it presents an additional hurdle for new customers.
Here is the sign up process by a new customer after reading a wonderful review about Cloudways and clicking on an affiliate link.
- Customer becomes interested in hosting with Cloudways because of affiliate review.
- Customer clicks affiliate link to the sign up page.
- Customer signs up, but is told to open a chat (usually not shown on page) or
email email@example.com and submit the following personal information.
- Facebook / Twitter handle
- Company or personal website
- Personal info such as government-issued photo ID or passport
- Contact Number
- Wait for an unknown period of time.
Most new customer are non-tech savy and are simply looking for a great hosting company with a quick sign up process. However, the wait time and being required to submit social media handles and government issued identification in order to host their website is a major turn off.