Multisite Subdomains During Development

Is it possible to setup subdomain sites within a multisite network BEFORE assigning a primary domain? For example, if the primary multisite temporary url is wordpress.cloudwaysapps.com can a subdomain site with URL test.wordpress.cloudwaysapps.com be used during development?

I attempted to do this once, but the subdomain couldn’t be found because it appears that Cloudways doesn’t assign a wildcard A record to an application’s temporary URL.

If your production sites will use subdomains, I recommend setting up a custom wildcard subdomain of your production domain, like *.dev.yourlivedomain.com, with dev.yourlivedomain.com being the primary site. If the production sites will use separate domain names, you can use a subdirectory setup during development.

I appreciate your input.

However, it doesn’t address the issue: I am trying to develop a WPMU and need to be able to set up the subdomain sites BEFORE a domain name is assigned to the application. Thus, I still need to be able to do this using the default host name/url that Cloudways provides when an application is created.

Is it possible to setup subdomain sites within a multisite network BEFORE assigning a primary domain?

My response does address the issue, but the answer is not of the “Here’s how to get Cloudways to change their staging domains” variety. Sorry, but you’ll have to choose a different way to go about it.

That’s what I thought and experienced. Seems like a huge oversight by Cloudways since they offer WPMU as an install option at app creation time.

Going to contact support to see if this is truly the case.

Thanks.

Talked to support and that is the case - to properly develop WPMU it would require assigning a domain to the app.