Mailgun - Subdomain vs Generic Domain

Hi,

I’ve set up a subdomain in Mailgun and its working fine.

1. Should I use one subdomain for all of my client’s sites/domains?

For example, mg.generic-domain.com

or should I set up a new subdomain for each clients site/domain?

I’m not sure what is best practice in terms of authority and appearance.

Some people say to set up a new smtp user under the generic domain for each client, like

client1@mg.generic-domain.com
client2@mg.generic-domain.com

or is it better to add individual subdomains for each client?

Thank you.

I was wondering the same thing.

If you want your clients’ emails to come from something that seems more official, I’d set up mg.client-domain.com, mg.otherclient-domain.com, mg.yetanotherclient-domain.com and so forth. This gives each client their own sending subdomain and does the following:

• separates any sort of transactional mail that may be mismarked as spam or phishing from legit client-generated email that they would expect to be delivered for sales and such
  • gives the transactional mail the authority of having an SPF record and being signed by a subdomain of the actual client root domain. Things like password reset emails or Wordfence notifications can then be trusted by your clients’ users; anyone can send an SPF/DKIM complete email from yourclient@mg.random-hostname.com and that’s often explicitly what phishing schemes do. In terms of authority, you’re best off sending from a subdomain of a client domain that their users trust as being a source of truth
1 Like

Thanks again, Lucas.

being signed by a subdomain of the actual client root domain.

I was thinking that must be essential, the generic method just doesn’t fit.