I No Longer Trust Cloudways - Here's Why

Wonderful ‘gulshankumar’, towing the company line! However, if you have been a good paying customer for a while a little more leeway than 48 should exist. That is what ‘mattmikulla’ was trying to say. Why not consider his thoughts. I am thinking of myself - if my Visa expiry date changed and I did not notify Cloudways in time. I think that a 30 day period for a good customer is not out of the question. Not everyone is out to get you! Not everyone is a crook.

I agree. This time period is way to short for people that might overlook a potential issue. Most hosting companies offer 4 days. Imagine if this happens on 3 day holiday weekend to a unsuspecting customer.

Cloudways, please listen to this important customer feedback. Perhaps offer ability to add a 2nd credit card as backup in case accident takes place and customer cannot be reached.

For those whining about this…

How about you all take responsibility for your own BUSINESS?

Life is simple - if you don’t pay for something, you don’t get it. Period.

How is this any different?

If you’re not responsible enough to ensure there will be no issues with payment, maybe you shouldn’t be in business.

3 Likes

Sometimes CCs expire, sometimes they get flagged for fraud prevention. Some of us travel on weekends. Some of us live in hurricane country. 48 hours seems to be too fast. With that said, Cloudways is unlike most hosting companies that manage their own service. They front the bill for a 3rd party server service so maybe 48 hours is limit for them already, perhaps their contracts with these providers is set at this.

It is nice that you can add funds to your account, and maybe the best solution here is to prepay each month to be safe. I think being able to add backup credit card would be welcomed.

Ron, lets keep it positive. Thanks :slight_smile:

4 Likes

We all pay too way much for insurance policies we hope we never need. Being a responsible business owner, I am sure you carry sufficient insurance to cover every aspect of your business. I plan for the worst, hope for the best, and work to win.
After this discussion I realized I better add another layer of insurance to my business. I have decided to pay the cash funds up front for a year and have the Visa in backup.
I spoke with the billing dept and the cash funds are their default and they did not seem to be changing. So if you want an extra layer of safety, the Credit card is the backup until they add a second credit card to be used as backup.

However I would like to see an extension of days to their non/late payment policy. Very hard line! Does not seem to follow with all other wonderful company ways. Like how their support is so great!

An easy solution that would serve everyone is if Cloudways allowed us to have one or more backup payment plans. This could be a second (and even a third) credit card, or a way to add funds that would allow the funds to be held and used only for backup.

This would not require asking Cloudways for a loan or for free insurance. In fact, if we kept emergency cash in our accounts it would US lending money to THEM.

I don’t understand why this simple feature wasn’t added years ago.

It’s been suggested … you can upvote it here: https://feedback.cloudways.com/forums/203824-service-improvement/suggestions/31928125-allow-customers-to-add-a-secondary-or-even-tertiar

1 Like

Cloudways are not a true cloudhosting provider. They are a service that manages the cloudhosting. However they do actually charge for the cloudhosting so they are putting themselves in a position of being the cloud hosting company

And their service, and indeed their marketing, is aimed at smaller less technically minded businesses who want something somewhere between raw sysadmin and CPanel hosting.

48 hours is too short (absurd) I could be on a long weekend holiday and there be an issue with my card and come back to deleted servers. CW could obviate this issue simply by moving up their notice on payment, and charge of that payment source, to within a week prior to expiry, and by having multiple sources of payment or SMS alert.

And by reminding their customers that they are not a Pay-up-front hosting setup and to be mindful of ensuring that their accounts are pre-paid.

Having said that, I do agree that this is business - buyer beware, and it’s our responsibility to pay our invoices on time. Cloudways can’t be paying for servers on an ongoing basis if they aren’t being paid on time - that’s a quick way to go out of business.

I will also say that I haven’t rec’d any prior notifications of what I wil be charged for so far, only the payment notifications.

The lack of thought in both development and business process with Cloudways is stunning at times. It’s like it is run by 18 year old tech heads, or Indian contractors. Oblivious to UX/UI or customer needs.

You’re not focusing on the solution. You’re shifting blame of the problem.

Matt is pointing out a legitimate problem. Instead of coming up with a solution or taking the opportunity to improve, you focused on blaming, and your ‘solution’ provided just shows that you didn’t read and/or understand what Matt was pointing out.

1 Like

Disagree.

Their billing system is crap.

Multiple charges, refunds, authorizations and then re-charges a week later.

In regards to the OP, the emails saying they couldn’t collect payment say they’ll request payment “in a few hours”: they never do. Seen this happen multiple times.

Also, why would you want to “add funds” because they can’t get their act together? They should sort their systems out first (and act like the brand they market & communicate as, not as a fly-by-night one).

Hey @nicksanderos,

Could you please share the ticket number you must have opened for the billing issue? And if you have not opened up a ticket, please message me your registered email address along with the issue you had with billing so I can check with the concerned department.

As far as the billing is concerned, we do notify the customer multiple times before deleting the server and keep the backup for 15 days which is an ample amount of time to take action. In case you are still unavailable to respond to these emails, you can add funds to avoid service interruption.

Regards,
Ibad Rehman

1 Like

#151351 & #152667

“we do notify the customer multiple times before deleting the server…” You might send one or two emails, but the content of these emails should be reviewed. One says “we will request payment in a few hours”, but the system never does. It’s a joke (as in poor, not funny; clarification for ESL peeps).

You are little bit more aggressive on “gulshankumar”. However you didn’t like when Cloudways is aggressive and give 48 hrs to pay. Also send multiple emails before shutting down.

“I was having issues with Cloudways accepting my credit card likely because they were overseas so I’ve been adding funds to my account through paypal. The first of the month rolled around and I was not paying attention to emails. … delete your data and applications within several days of non payment.”

You clearly explained CloudWays can’t trust you. Sorry but hé you are making your problems somebody else their problems (In this case CloudWays). This is what you get when you neglect your own responsibilities.

I had one moment I was not able to pay. I communicated with CloudWays to prevent getting offline and they gave me ultimatum. That’s the difference between you and moi @mattmikulla

Pay your bills on time , simple

dont slag off a great service if your not organised

You have used their services and pay after you have used them , people like you make me laugh

Get a grip and appreciate what you have you leech

Hi Matt

Shut down 48 hours after late payment?

According to my own experience, one of the local host I used to use shut down 1 minute after due date ended. But that’s not the worst things.

Even worse, is the only payment method is bank transfer, and I have to inform them manually about the payment, no online payment gateway automation option.

They will also send a billing to customer’s email and their billing email didn’t send out to customers from time to time.

That when my site get shutdown. — And they couldn’t careless when I say I didn’t received an emails. They’ll just issued the billing and wait until you come back from long weekend to pay them first.

Just want to share my story.

Thanks

Paul

Sure Paul, but that’s just comparing this poor billing system to an incredibly poor one. I assume that you never investigated that horrible company’s billing process and payment system before you went with them, because surely you would never have dealbt with a company like that in the first place.

There are plenty of hosting companies who provide proper prior notice ahead of time ie. 7 days (even if it’s just a notice to say that an invoice has been generated, requiring you to log in an check it), and then provide further notice of imminent payment request, and then provide a receipt once it has been done. Emails are free after all.

CW does not do this, and the key issue is that if for some reason you are not near your email for the 2 days from the time of payment charge, then it is entirely possible to come back to deleted servers.

Not good.

I also find the additional issue of faulty notices being sent to me regarding disk size, inode usage etc. all of them threatening suspension etc. when in actual fact the server in question is perfectly within proper ranges. I have had to get them resolved repeatedly to ensure that no-one pulls the plug on my server or limits it in any way.

Hmm. I signed up for a three day trial today. I do some freelance web development work and use three other shared hosting companies. I was thinking of consolidating and moving all my sites off of Mediatemple, and 1and1 over to CW. After reading this I am not so sure anymore. This seems extreme. I once had my credit card date expire while I was traveling, it caused a bit of hassle but if that happened while I was out camping in the mountains for a few days (something I do), getting everything deleted so quickly would be catastrophic. Sure this is cheaper but I am thinking maybe I spend a bit more money each month and go the more traditional route, inaccurate emails and abrupt deletions are scaring me off tbh.

You sound like a tRump supporter and I bet you are right with him.
But to me if they dont offer paypal as an option then it is really difficult. I have about 6 accounts and paypal just rolls over from one to the other. I get hundreds of emails every day. Now I am not sure about cloudways but i am always getting crap from godaddy and hostgator and ehost(was). So I dont always look at each freakin email from someone who is selling me something.
So quit with your rigid ideas of what is right and wrong.

Thank you so much for alerting me to this issue. I have no idea how much storage or whatever they call it I will have charged. What if I do a big promotion and get 200,000 clicks one day. So I am going to call their billing office, see im showing my age, i will email their billing office and see if I can use paypal or have a backup payment plan. But I really appreciate you alerting me. I suppose prepaying is a good idea if they dont have a rollover option or paypal. But I will definitely be alert. You may have no idea of what a mess haveing your files can be. I was hospitalized once and my husband who hated the time I spent on internet marketing deleted my hostgator account!!! It was bizarre and I never recovered, I just sold the domain names to a friend. So the ability to have google drive have a backup copy of my site is something I wanted. But I really like everything else about this hosting company. They have been wonderful to this old dinosaur trying to relearn internet marketing.

I’m late to the party here, but I don’t have an issue with this policy. If I don’t pay the invoice then why should Cloudways front that expense for me? Billing works differently than shared hosting (ie, shared hosting = you pay in advance, whereas cloud VPS servers = you pay in arrears).

I always add funds to my Cloudways account around half way through the month so that I’m sure that 100% of the bill will be covered without issue.