Cloudways have No Support for W3TC Cache plugin

I was investigating why I am always getting a hit in Leverage browsing caching in GTMetrix. When I checked the Compatibility Check, here’s what I found out.

mod_deflate: Not detected (required for disk enhanced Page Cache and Browser Cache)
mod_env: Not detected (required for disk enhanced Page Cache and Browser Cache)
mod_expires: Not detected (required for disk enhanced Page Cache and Browser Cache)
mod_filter: Not detected (required for disk enhanced Page Cache and Browser Cache)
mod_ext_filter: Not detected (required for disk enhanced Page Cache and Browser Cache)
mod_headers: Not detected (required for disk enhanced Page Cache and Browser Cache)
mod_mime: Not detected (required for disk enhanced Page Cache and Browser Cache)
mod_rewrite: Not detected (required for disk enhanced Page Cache and Browser Cache)
mod_setenvif: Not detected (required for disk enhanced Page Cache and Browser Cache)

No wonder why.

That GTMetrix report is showing that browser caching is, in fact, working as expected, it’s just been set to only cache for 1 day, which isn’t long enough by PageSpeed’s standards so it’s complaining. Adjust the settings in W3TC to cache for 30 days and the warnings will go away. If the browser caching weren’t working, you wouldn’t see any cache duration listed at all.

Note that it appears it’s mostly your image files that have too short an expires duration. though there are two javascripts listed there too. And the CAOS plugin you’re using to load Google Analytics locally doens’t actually improve the load speed of your pages and can actually hurt it in many cases.

As for the 3rd-party scripts that are listed with too-short durations, there’s nothing you can do about those as you can’t control cache duration of files not on your own site.

I suspect that test is only testing the NGINX proxy of the Cloudways setup. (NGINX won’t return any of those Apache modules.) Things like mod_headers, mod_rewrite, mod_setenvif etc all work fine on my DO server. Haven’t specifically checked the functioning of the others, but they’re standard requirements.

Hope that helps?

Hi,

That’s the weird part of it, my .htaccess are set to 30 days - all of them, still, the report I am getting is 1 day. And I already spoke with CW’s Support and got all the technical details and explanation.

Anyway, to cut the story short, I moved my caching to CF and it is all good now. Note, I did gave Cloudways CDN a shot for more than 20 days but I guess I was not satisfied.

Perhaps you were using W3TC plugin and your browser cache configuration was likely causing the issue. I can see cache is set for 1 days however tools like GTmetrix expect longer duration like 1 month or year.

In the second report, you have longer browser cache TTL therefore everything is resolved.