I keep reading that CF CDN has performance problems on servers created by Cloudways. Especially since CF creates a complete copy of your website, uses it’s own Universal SSL Certificate (not server Let’s Encrypt SSL), and it’s own caching system that could affect Woocommerce websites if not properly setup, which is complicated.
However, right now I’m only using CF DNS (Grey Cloud) and I want to know if CW CDN is compatible with only the CF DNS enabled.
Here’s how I would set it up for a single WordPress website. Please correct or provide help.
- Connect a domain to CF and point it to the CF nameservers.
- Delete all DNS Record (I used a new domain so there were no DNS Records)
- Add an A Record with a Name of WWW and point the Value to the Server IP Address and TTL of 10 Minutes.
- Add another A Record with a Name of domain.com and point the Value to the Server IP Address and TTL of 10 Minutes
- Turn off all Orange Clouds (Grey Cloud = DNS Only)
- Wait for the domain to propagate.
- In your server (CW Platform) go into the Setting & Packages Tab and click “Advanced”. Scroll and find “WAF MODULE” and choose “Cloudflare”
- In your Application (CW Platform), add your primary domain under the Domain Management Tab.
- Install SSL for your domain for both www and non-www under the SSL Certificate Tab.
- Then under the CloudwaysCDN Tab add https://www.domain.com
- For step 3 do I only add the https and www version ? I ask b/c most people visit a site by typing “domain .com” and the server redirects it to “https and www”. I think I know the answer already but just want to double check. (Everything loads from the https and www)
My current load time with a 1GB Linode server in Fremont running a WP multisite with 3 Subdomain websites is ~ 500ms. But, I’m just asking for when I make a single WordPress install.