CDN Benchmarks? Cloudways vs. Cloudflare vs. Jetpack?

I haven’t been able to find any benchmarks comparing these for a wordpress website with a large number of images.

Has anyone seen anything related to this?

Thank you.

I hate Jetpack. I’ve never considered using them for a CDN, there is too much other junk that comes along with that plugin, but as for Cloudflare vs Cloudways CDN. The two CDNs work in different ways.

The Cloudways CDN is actually run by StackPath. StackPath is one of the biggest CDN providers out there. Stackpath is a traditional CDN – only the requests that are able to be cached will go to their CDN, whereas with CloudFlare, everything has to be proxied through them first, including uncacheable requests such as the initial request and most ajax requests. These requests will have to travel the extra distance to CloudFlare’s servers before going to your Cloudways server. The extra overhead is small, however, and I’ve never been able to notice it, nor I have seen a difference in any performance tests I’ve ran.

Cloudflare does have one thing going for it that I haven’t mentioned yet. They will optimize all of your assets on their CDN for you. They are actually really good at doing this in a reliable way. Now, if you’ve already setup and configured WordPress optimization plugins, which I believe you have, then this shouldn’t be that big of a deal. Where I’ve found it to be helpful is sometimes when a website seems to be fragile, and most of the optimization settings in my caching plugin are breaking the website, I might turn to Cloudflare since they do a better job than most caching plugins at optimizing assets without breaking the site.

Also, it’s worth noting that webpagetest.org is very useful in measuring your website’s performance, however, in this case the difference would be too small to see anything statistically significant.

TLDR;
Both CDNs work well. What I do is I will use the Cloudways CDN since it doesn’t have the extra overhead that Cloudflare has, unless I feel like I am not able to get enough performance out of my caching plugin, then I might turn to CloudFlare for their reliable performance optimization abilities.

I find that CloudFlare and Cloudways with Breeze run very well together and that’s generally what I use. There are a few guides telling you how to configure them for best performance. You cold also go back to W3TC instead of Breeze if you prefer tinkering with settings, but I prefer the simplicity of Breeze with your Cloudways server configured to use the CloudFlare WAF in the Cloudways settings.

GT metrix and Yslow tend to be pretty good assuming your are using a decent theme and only class A plugins. I bought a couple of WP Rocket Licences to test last Black Friday but havent gotten around to trying them yet.

I also have a seperate ChemiCloud hosting account that uses LiteSpeed and this is where I’m currently doing my own testing. I find the LiteSpeed Wordpress Cache plugin to be superb and I plan to use that setup for some websites alongside Cloudways until CyberPanel matures for another year or so, at which point I’ll have to make a final decision on which Stacks to focus on and use going forwards.

I’ve tested Digital Ocean, Vultr and Linode on Cloudways and have to say I love Linode, followed by DO. Vultr had a number of outages last year, I was using their Paris nodes and found ti to be less stable in general than Linode and DO. With Brexit heading towards a no deal I’ve been shifting our Servers to Linode Frankfurt for better GDPR compliance as we’re an Irish agency. I’d rather make the changes now with plenty of time over waiting for the innevitable chaos towards the end of 2020. - None of that will matter so miuch if you aren’t a European centric concern.

We’d use AWS servers in Ireland if the pricing wasn’t so high, so for us Linode gives us the best performance and stability alongside GDPR compliance.

Hi leo.k25

Forget Jetpack - comes with too much overhead.

There are some good comparisons out there between Cloudflare vs Stackpath (and others)

Maybe not so for Cloudways since you’d only use Cloudways CDN if you were with Cloudways.

But IMO it is “horses for courses”. We host a lot of sites and by default use Cloudflare for most of them, simply because it is more than just CDN, and it does reduce the “actual” time to view depending on the location of the user as it is a web-proxy and not just a CDN, and it auto-optimises content. Simply put, their free service covers a lot of people without customisation, and their paid service provides for faster delivery through better (and more) services.

But if you’re running a high traffic site that you really want to sing, and you are optimising for a specific geo area then frankly I would be spending money on purpose built high speed servers (ie. AWS / Google Cloud or other similar performance cloud hosting), setting a very clear optimisation strategy for content on the site with the content creators, and then testing the result using a few different CDN options (ie. paid Cloudflare, or Stackpath or whoever provides the best blazing fast service to your specific geo area.

While we still have a couple of sites here, for us Cloudways was a stepping stone helping us to achieve our own first-class managed hosting environment direct with AWS and using other server management tools. The performance increase has been notable, but frankly AWS / Google support is expensive so Cloudways is a good option to achieve this for most people.

And from a SEO perspective, if you want best results you do need a good fttb response - and you don’t get this with Cloudflare free (on purpose).