Breeze and Redis

When I installed Wordpress it came with the plugin Breeze. Perhaps a silly question but if I enable Reddis am I supposed to remove Breeze or are they compatible to work together?

Hi Andy,

Generally you don’t want to run 2 caching plugins at the same time, but since these caching plugins both handle different types of caches you will actually want them both enabled. Redis is for the object cache while Breeze is for your page level caching.

On top of that you can also enable Varnish caching in the Cloudways control panel, and if you have a lot of international users you’ll want to use a CDN. Because these are all separate types of caches that handle caching at different stages of an HTTP request, you can have them all enabled at the same time.

Russell. Does a Redis plugin need to be installed on the site in order for Redis to be implemented?

Thanks for your reply Russell. Funny as I was stalking your profile yesterday because you provide a lot of valuable support here! I’m still questioning the need to set up Redis. I already have page load speeds of: 0.7, 0.9 etc I have Varnish enabled with Bunny CDN. My users are mostly Asia hence I chose Singapore for the servers.

Even more amazing - those page load speeds were on GTMetrix from Hong Kong!

You need to add a line of code to the wp.config file which is actually very easy to do. The latest video from Adam (wpcrafter) shows you how to do this. Check it out as he covers a set up :wink:

1 Like

And, add the Redis plugin.
So 2 things.

Easiest way: Install the plugin called ‘wp config’ to WordPress and add a line of code in the config file I would choose this way so I can thene delete the plugin after. One less plugin to worry about :wink:

Watch the video 'How to Setup Cloudways The Right Way’ by Adam - WPCrafter or the CloudWays tutorials. It’s actually very easy to do and his recommendation.

1 Like

I asked Cloudways support, the answer:
Yes you can install both of them Redis is for the database caching and Breeze is for page caching.
https://support.cloudways.com/breeze-wordpress-cache-configuration/
https://www.cloudways.com/blog/install-redis-cache-wordpress/

It is a very good video.
It was also good to hear from Adam that Cloudways is an excellent choice.

1 Like

Yeah, I have spend a good amount of time on these forums. I used to spend my time on stackoverflow.com helping other programmers, but the quality of questions on that site have gone downhill, so I came here instead.

I’ve found that setting up Redis won’t make much of a noticeable difference to your users, but were it really shines is in making the backend load a little bit faster, and technically it should create a tiny performance improvement for your users too.

The line Adam adds in the wp-config file isn’t absolutely required, but it does prevent your Redis cache from messing with other Redis caches on the same server, so you’ll want to add it. But instead of adding it the way Adam does, I like to do:

if ( $_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'] === 'yourwebsite.com' ){ define('WP_CACHE_KEY_SALT', 'yourwebsite_random_suffix'); }
else { define('WP_CACHE_KEY_SALT', 'yourwebsite_random_suffix_staging'); }

So for example if I had the website example.com, I would do:

if ( $_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'] === 'example.com' ){ define('WP_CACHE_KEY_SALT', 'example_com_nw3pCL9xa5aNwQTM'); }
else { define('WP_CACHE_KEY_SALT', 'example_com_nw3pCL9xa5aNwQTM_staging'); }

This way you won’t create problems for yourself when you create a staging site. If you don’t do things this way, and you forget to change the WP_CACHE_KEY_SALT on your staging site, your staging site would end up using the same cache as your main site, and changes made in one site could affect the other site. It’s really annoying when it happens.

Also, as you can see I added random characters at the end of my cache key. If you have multiple clients that you manage, you’ll want to do this for security reasons as this prevents your clients from looking into each others Redis cache and potentially seeing sensitive information that got cached in there.

3 Likes

Thanks again Russell for your support. To be honest as my sites already load within1 second and under I will leave out Redis. I’ve recently migrated from SiteGround and the backend is very fast in comparison! Almost instant compared to an average of a 5 second wait before!!